Monday, February 1, 2010

The Foundation...

"Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance."-Saint Augustine

I have been reflecting a lot on the nature of humility. I often struggle with the foundation of all other virtues. As with a lot of people, I have trouble balancing humility and functionality. I want to be humble about my works, but in the same tell people what I can do. And it is this that I think is the root of my troubles, as it were. I try to be humble. And sometimes I succeed. But I think the hardest part about humility is not the humility in itself, but rather its application in other aspects. How can I apply my oh so mild humility to other virtues. How does humility apply to courage? To love? To loyalty? What do you think?

humility |(h)yoōˈmilitē|
noun
1) a modest or low view of one's own importance; humbleness.

2 comments:

A Thinker said...

Congratz my friend. You have stumbled upon one of the greatest philospohical problems of the 20th and 21st century. My advice:Be humble when you know you are better, but don't flaunt and brag when you are worse (Sorry if that dosen't make any sense, but try to work it out).

Michael said...

It doesn't. You just said be humble when you're better and be humble when you're worse