Saturday, February 20, 2010

First Sunday of Lent

"Patience is the companion of wisdom." -Saint Augustine

So today is the First Sunday of Lent. That means its once again time to think about about what we are going to give up or what we will take on. This year I am going to try taking on something extra. One more thing in my busy life. Well hopefully the fifteen minutes I'm gonna try to spend meditating will help me deal with it. Most of the time, I find the people around me talking about what they are going to give up. But this year, I wanted to be different. Lent has two slightly different ideas behind it. One of them is the idea that we should try to live more like Christ did by giving things up and living with less. The other idea comes from the Jewish tradition, the idea of a mitzvah: prayer, fasting, and alms giving. So this year I'm trying prayer for just fifteen minutes a day. I hope it goes well.

No comments: