Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.


Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est. Holy Thursday. The celebration of the Last Supper. This year I sang at the 7:30 mass. It was probably one of the most powerful moments of my life. Precessing into the church, all singing, I was overpowered by the sense of God in my life. Ubi caritas etamor, Deus ibi est. Where charity and love are, God is there. Tonight is a reminder of our calling as humans, “Mandatum novum do vobis…a new commandment I give you, love one another as I have loved you.” Sitting in the darkened church, surrounded by the silence, I contemplated what I am called to in life. (I still have no idea, in case you care.) And how we are called to love each other. I found it really interesting how the age old message of love and charity continues to this day, how through the ages people still preach the same thing. All our technology and 'advancement' has not changed our essential humanity. We are still the same people who, many years ago, gathered around that table, broke bread and shared wine, and celebrated that paschal feast. We are called to spread love throughout the world today. And so I challenge you today to love more deeply.

The image is of Jesus washing his disciple's feet after the Last Supper.
Picture is from

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Michael, Easter greetings & blessings!

Your mom gave me the link to your WONDERFUL Holy Thursday reflection. THANKS for posting it, and enjoy the springtime.

All the BEST to you, your mom and dad, and Christopher.

Bill Sneck, S.J.