Sunday, August 1, 2010

Well, have you met any Albigensians lately?

Yesterday was the feast of St. Ignatius of Loyola, patron of students. He's one of my favorite saints, mainly because he founded the Jesuits, my favorite religious order. Yes, I do have a favorite religious order! I'm a little weird that way. I like the Jesuits because of their ideals, zeal, and their jokes. One particularly funny one (at least for me) goes like this:

What is similar about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders?
Well, they were both founded by Spaniards, St. Dominic for the Dominicans, and St. Ignatius of Loyola for the Jesuits.
They were also both founded to combat heresy: the Dominicans to fight the Albigensians, and the Jesuits to fight the Protestants.

What is different about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders?
Well, have you met any Albigensians lately?


2 comments:

A Thinker said...

oh my god...

Michelle said...

Jesuits have a flair for prayer, a yearning for learning and an attitude of gratitude....