Tuesday, April 23, 2013

An Unholy Sonnet

They tell me what we prioritize speaks volumes about what we care about. I guess that leaves me with sleep first, food second, and theater and school tied for a distant third. They also say that you can do only two of three things well in college: sleep, study, or party. It seems I have chosen the first two: a major in sleep with a minor in homework. It is very rewarding, but I wonder if I should add a double-major...?

As the semester (and my first year at college!!! AHHH!!!) winds to a close, I am a bit nervous. Nervous about finals. Nervous about summer school and what I'm doing with the rest of my summer. Nervous about what I'm doing with the rest of my life. You know, your normal Tuesday. When you talk about anxiety as a dull, throbbing nervousness that never quite goes away, what they are really referring to is the last three weeks of the semester. And I cannot even begin to imagine what the seniors must be going through right now. 

Batter my heart, three-person'd God

The storm of pillows
Slaughters innocent dreamings
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new
A night, unspent restless

Forks clash with knives
As the work around the left flank
Fried chicken valiantly dying before
Vegatables uncooked and untamed

The thunderous din drowns out the cries
Of warriors celebrating a week well-fought
With papers laid to waste
They pour libations to their liberation

Batter my heart, three-person'd God

No comments: